May 12, 2004
Contact: Janet D'Alesandro (856) 256-2422
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
American Nephrology Nurses Association
Announces Award Winners
PITMAN, NJ The American Nephrology Nurses Association (ANNA) distributed over $82,000 in nursing excellence scholarships, grants, and awards at its recent 35th National Symposium in Washington, DC.
The Outstanding Contribution to ANNA award was presented to Carolyn Latham, MSN, MBA, RN, CNN, Vice President of Clinical Operations, Renal Care Group, Nashville, TN. Ms. Latham received the award on April 17 during the Nephrology Nurse Day Luncheon. This award recognizes one nurse each year who has made outstanding contributions to ANNAs goals. As the award recipient, Ms. Latham received a lifetime membership to ANNA, an ANNA logo pin, and a commemorative plaque.
The Ron Brady Memorial Award for Excellence in Volunteer Leadership was presented to Mary Gritzmaker Schira, PhD, RN, APRN, BC, ACNP, Associate Clinical Professor, University of Texas, School of Nursing, Arlington, TX. Sponsored by ANNAs management company, Anthony J. Jannetti, Inc., and named in honor of ANNAs long-time executive director, this award recognizes excellence in volunteer leadership for ANNA. Dr. Schira received $1,000 and a commemorative plaque.
The Janel Parker Memorial Scholarship was presented to Molly Cahill, RN, CNN, Nurse Clinician, Nancy Birenboim, MD, Inc., Independence, MO. This is a one-time award named in honor of Janel Parker, an exceptional ANNA leader and executive director of the Nephrology Nursing Certification Commission, who passed away last year. Ms. Cahill received $1,700, which had been donated to the Nursing Economic$ Foundation for the Janel Parker Memorial fund.
Other achievement awards distributed at the symposium included the following:
- Nephrology Nurse Educator Award: Mary Gritzmaker Schira, PhD, RN, APRN, BC, ACNP, Associate Clinical Professor, University of Texas, School of Nursing, Arlington, TX
- Excellence in Nephrology Nursing Management Award: Nancy B. Pierce, BSN, RN, CNN, Director, Hemodialysis, St. Peters Community Hospital, Elliston, MT
- Nephrology Nurse Researcher Award: Rebecca S. Sloan, PhD, RN, Associate Professor, Indiana University School of Nursing, Indianapolis, IN
- ANNA Directors Award: Mary K. Houglum, RN, Inservice Coordinator, Fresenius Medical Care, South Range, WI
- ANNA Research Abstract Award: Karen Pugh-Clarke, MSc, BSc, RN, Renal Research/Anaemia Management Nurse, University Hospital of North Staffordshire, Staffordshire, England UK. This award is sponsored by Amgen.
- Quality Care Award: Jean L. Audrain, RN, CNN, Patient Care Coordinator, Saint Peters, MO. This award is sponsored by Church & Dwight Co., Inc.
- Outstanding Contributions to Transplantation Nursing: Clara D. Neyhart, BSN, RN, CNN, Nephrology Nurse Clinician, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC. This award is sponsored by Fujisawa Healthcare, Inc.
- Spirit of Nephrology Nursing Award: Barbara L. Merkle, BS, RN, CNN, Staff Nurse, San Diego Veterans Healthcare System, San Diego, CA. This award is sponsored by Ortho Biotech Products, L.P.
- Outstanding Chapter Recognition Award: Gitchee Gummee Chapter #331
- Regional Chapter Award: Northeast: Keystone Chapter; Southeast: Dallas Chapter; North Central: St. Louis Metro Chapter; Western: Big Sky Chapter. This award is sponsored by Ortho Biotech Products, L.P.
- Strategic Alliance Award: Platte River Chapter
- Recruitment & Retention Regional Awards: Northeast: Northern New England Chapter; Southeast: Shellcoast Chapter; North Central: Platte River Chapter; Western: Nuevo Mexico Chapter
- Recruitment & Retention National Award: Michigan Chapter
During the symposium, ANNA also awarded its annual scholarships and grants. For a complete list of the awards, grants, and scholarships presented at ANNAs National Symposium, click here.
For more information about ANNA and its awards, visit the associations Web site at www.annanurse.org; call 888-600-2662, 856-256-2320; fax 856-589-7463; or e-mail email@example.com. ANNAs 36th National Symposium will be held April 18-21, 2005, at the MGM Grand Hotel in Las Vegas, NV.
# # #
ANNA is a professional association comprised of more than 11,000 nephrology nurses. Its mission is to advance nephrology nursing practice and positively influence outcomes for patients with kidney or other disease processes requiring replacement therapies through advocacy, scholarship, and excellence.