May 19, 2005
Contact: Linda Alexander
856-256-2300, ext. 2411 email@example.com
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
American Nephrology Nurses' Association Announces Award Winners
Pitman, NJ - The American Nephrology Nurses' Association (ANNA) distributed over $69,000 in nursing excellence scholarships, grants, and awards at its recent 36th National Symposium in Las Vegas, NV.
The Outstanding Contribution to ANNA award was presented to Kathleen Smith, BS, RN, CNN, vice president, government affairs, Fresenius Medical Care of North America, Washington, DC. Smith received the award on April 20 during the Nephrology Nurse Day Luncheon. This award recognizes one nurse each year who has made outstanding contributions to ANNAs goals. As the award recipient, Smith received a lifetime membership to ANNA, an ANNA logo pin, and a commemorative plaque.
The Ron Brady Memorial Award for Excellence in Volunteer Leadership was presented to Mary Haras, MBA, RN, CNN, nurse clinician, Southwest Nephrology Associates, Chicago, IL. Sponsored by ANNA's management company, Anthony J. Jannetti, Inc., and named in honor of ANNA's long-time executive director, this award recognizes excellence in volunteer leadership for ANNA. Haras received $1,000 and a commemorative plaque.
Other achievement awards distributed at the symposium included the following:
- Clinical Practice Award: B. Sandra Miholics, RN, CNN, nephrology nurse, Renaissance Health Care, Neshanic Station, NJ.
- Nephrology Nurse Educator Award: Evey Muniz, RN, CNN, clinical manager, Fresenius Medical Care, Houston, TX.
- Excellence in Nephrology Nursing Management Award: Beverly Schafer, RN, CNN, dialysis clinical director, Rice Memorial Hospital, Willmar, MN.
- Nephrology Nurse Researcher Award: Charlotte Thomas-Hawkins, PhD, RN, assistant professor, Rutgers University, College of Nursing, Burlington, NJ.
- Rehabilitation Award: Deborah Warrington, RN, CNN, quality liaison, Renal Care Group, Tyler, TX. This award is sponsored by Amgen.
- Quality Care Award: Maureen Eisele, MS, RN, CCRN, CNN, dialysis nurse, Montefiore Medical Center, Bronx, NY. This award is sponsored by Church & Dwight Company, Inc.
- Outstanding Contribution to Transplantation Nursing: Jenny Bell, BSN, RN, CNN, CCTC, transplant coordinator, Banner Good Samaritan Transplant Services, Phoenix, AZ. This award is sponsored by Astellas Pharma US, Inc.
- Spirit of Nephrology Nursing Award: Laura Broome, RN, pediatric nephrology case manager, Childrens Health System, Birmingham, AL. This award is sponsored by Ortho Biotech Products, LP.
- Nephrology Nurse Competence in Aging Award: Susan Cronin, MS, RN, associate director, professional services, Bone Care International, Middleton, WI. This award is sponsored by the Nurse Competence in Aging Initiative.
- Representation Award: Christine Ceccarelli, MS, MBA, RN, CNN, quality improvement coordinator, Hartford Hospital, Meriden, CT.
- ANNA Board of Directors Award: Kathleen Kuchta, BSN, RN, retired, McHenry, IL.
- ANNA Research Abstract Award: Gail Chop, BSN, RN, nurse manager, Center for Hemotherapeutics, Maine Medical Center, Brunswick, ME.This award is sponsored by Amgen.
- Outstanding Chapter Recognition Award: Palmetto Chapter, Charleston, SC
- Chapters Collaboration Award: Dallas, Lone Star, Alamo City, El Paso, Gulf Coast, Heart of Texas, Palm Valley, Sand Dollar, and East Texas Chapters. This award in sponsored by Ortho Biotech Products, LP.
- Strategic Alliance Award: Hazel Taylor Chapter, Birmingham, AL
- Regional Chapter Award: Northeast: Three Rivers Chapter, Pittsburgh, PA; Southeast: Alamo City Chapter San Antonio, TX; North Central: Windy City Chapter, Chicago, IL area; Western: Desert Vista Chapter, Phoenix AZ. This award is sponsored by Ortho Biotech Products, L.P.
- Recruitment & Retention National Award: Dogwood Chapter, Metro Atlanta, GA.
- Recruitment & Retention Regional Awards: Northeast: Capitol Chapter, Washington, DC and metro area; Southeast: Dogwood Chapter, Metro Atlanta, GA; North Central: Centennial Chapter, Bismark, ND; Western: Sacramento Valley Chapter, Sacramento, CA.
During the symposium, ANNA also awarded its annual scholarships and grants (see attached flyer). For a complete list of the awards, grants, and scholarships presented at ANNAs National Symposium, go to www.annanurse.org, (Members, click on Award/Scholarship/Grant Program Most Recent Recipients).
For more information about ANNA, visit the association=s Web site at www.annanurse.org; call 888-600-2662, 856-256-2320; fax 856-589-7463; or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. ANNA's 37th National Symposium will be held April 2-5, 2006, at the Gaylord Opryland Resort in Nashville, TN.
ANNA is a professional nursing association with 11,900 members. Its mission is to advance nephrology nursing practice and positively influence outcomes for patients with kidney disease processes requiring replacement therapies through advocacy, scholarship and excellence.