FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 21, 2003
Contact: Elise Denmon
American Nephrology Nurses Association Announces Award Winners
Pitman, NJ The American Nephrology Nurses Association (ANNA) distributed over $91,000 in nursing excellence scholarships, grants, and awards at its 34th National Symposium in Chicago, IL, in April.
The most prestigious award, the Outstanding Contribution to ANNA award, was presented to Karen C. Robbins, MS, RN, CNN, a nurse educator at Hartford Hospital, West Hartford, CT. Ms. Robbins received the award on April 27 during the Nephrology Nurse Day Luncheon. Criteria for this award included active participation and significant contribution to ANNAs growth at local, regional, and national levels. As the recipient of the award, Ms. Robbins received a lifetime membership to ANNA.
The Ron Brady Memorial Award was presented to Jean M. Nardini, MSN, RN, CNN, renal patient care director at Massachusetts General Hospital, Scituate, MA. Sponsored by ANNAs management company, Anthony J. Jannetti, Inc., in honor of ANNAs long-time executive director, this award recognizes excellence in volunteer leadership in contributing to the mission of ANNA.
Other awards distributed at the symposium included the following:
- Clinical Practice Award, presented to Cyrena M. Gilman, MN, RN, CNN, unit director, Riley Hospital for Children, Indianapolis, IN. This award was sponsored by Anthony J. Jannetti, Inc.
- Nephrology Nurse Educator Award, presented to Lorus A. Hawbecker, RN, CNN, clinical education manager, Baxter Healthcare Corporation, Oldsmar, FL.
- Excellence in Nephrology Nursing Management Award, presented to Karen Prussing, MSN, RN, ANP, CNN, director of renal services, St. Alexius Medical Center, Bismarck, ND.
- ANNA Directors Award, presented to Anne Harty, MS, APRN, FNP, nurse practitioner, Creighton Nephrology Associates, Omaha, NE.
- ANNA Rehabilitation Award, presented to Cindy Richards, RN, CNN, nephrology clinician/transplant coordinator, Childrens Health System, Hoover, AL. This award was sponsored by Amgen.
- ANNA Representation Award, presented to Kathryn Richardson, BSN, RN, CNN, an RN 4, INOVA Fairfax Hospital, Falls Church, VA.
- ANNA Research Abstract Award, presented to Linda Morrison, MSN, RN, ACNP, nephrology nurse practitioner, St. Clair Specialty Physicians, Fraser, MI. This award was sponsored by Amgen.
- Quality Care Award was presented to Mary Cox, RN, clinical nurse preceptor, Harper University Hospital, Detroit, MI. This award was sponsored by Church & Dwight Company, Inc.
- Outstanding Contributions to Transplantation Nursing, presented to Jean Colaneri, MS, RN, CNN, clinical nurse specialist, Albany Medical Center Hospital, Troy, NY. This award was sponsored by Fujisawa Healthcare, Inc.
- Outstanding Chapter Recognition Award, presented to the Platte River Chapter #324.
Regional Chapter Awards, presented to the Jersey North Chapter (Northeast region), the Hazel Taylor Chapter (Southeast region), the Southeast Minnesota Chapter (North Central region), and the Inland Empire Chapter (Western region). These awards were sponsored by Ortho Biotech Products, L.P.
- Chapters Collaboration Award, presented to the Gitchee Gumee Chapter, the Greater Minnesota Chapter, the Southeast Minnesota Chapter, and the Twin Cities Metro Chapter. These awards were sponsored by Ortho Biotech Products, L.P.
During the luncheon ceremonies, ANNA also announced a new Spirit of Nephrology Award, which will recognize one nurse each year who has been an exceptional mentor. The award will be sponsored by Ortho Biotech Products, L.P. and will begin in 2004.
For more information about ANNA and its awards, visit the associations Web site at www.annanurse.org; call (888) 600-2662, (856) 256-2320; fax (856) 589-7463; or e-mail email@example.com. ANNAs 35th National Symposium will be held April 15-18, 2004 at the Marriott Wardman Hotel, Washington, DC.
[Digital pictures of award recipients available upon request. Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.]
ANNA is a professional nursing association comprised of more than 12,000 nephrology nurses. The association is dedicated to advancing nephrology nursing practice and positively influencing outcomes for patients with kidney or other disease processes requiring replacement therapies through advocacy, scholarship, and excellence.