FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Information: Janet D'Alesandro
(856) 256-2422; email@example.com
American Nephrology Nurses' Association Announces Award Winners
PITMAN, NJ - The American Nephrology Nurses' Association (ANNA) distributed more than $90,000 in nursing excellence scholarships, grants and awards at its 39th National Symposium in Philadelphia, PA.
The Outstanding Contribution to ANNA award was presented to Beth Ulrich, EdD, RN, FACHE, FAAN, senior vice president, Professional & Consulting Services, Gannett Healthcare Group, Pearland, TX, and editor, Nephrology Nursing Journal. Ulrich received the award April 29 during the Nephrology Nurse Day Luncheon. This award recognizes one nurse each year who has made outstanding contributions to ANNAs goals. As the award recipient, Ulrich received a lifetime membership in ANNA, an ANNA logo pin and a commemorative plaque.
The Ron Brady Memorial Award for Excellence in Volunteer Leadership was presented to Sharon Longton, BSN, RN, CNN, CCTC, transplant coordinator, Harper University Hospital, Detroit, MI. Sponsored by ANNA's management company, Anthony J. Jannetti, Inc., and named in honor of ANNA's long-time executive director, this award recognizes excellence in volunteer leadership for ANNA. Longton received $1,000 and a commemorative plaque.
Other achievement awards distributed at the symposium included the following:
- Clinical Practice Award for Excellence in Volunteer Leadership: Nancy Ruth, RN, CNN, charge nurse, Acute Dialysis Unit, West Virginia University Hospitals, Inc., Morgantown, WV
- Nephrology Nurse Educator Award: Patricia McCarley, MSN, RN, ACNPc, CNN, nurse practitioner, Diablo Nephrology Group, Walnut Creek, CA
- Excellence in Nephrology Nursing Management Award: Johnie Flotte-Mouille, RN, education and quality director, DSI Renal, Inc., Nashville, TN
- Nephrology Nurse Researcher Award: Robert MacKinnon, RN, CNN, clinical research coordinator, Carlitas St. Elizabeths Medical Center, Boston, MA
- Quality Care Award: Janet English, RN, CNN, clinical nurse, Acute Dialysis Unit, Medical Center of Central Georgia, Macon, GA
- Spirit of Nephrology Nursing Award: Donna Bednarski, MSN, RN, ANP-BC, CNN, CNP, nephrology nurse practitioner, Harper University Hospital, Detroit, MI
- Nephrology Nurse Competence in Aging Award: Debra Hain, DNS, APRN, GNP, BC, nurse practitioner, Department of Nephrology, Cleveland Clinic, Westland, FL
- Kelly McManus Memorial Award: Lisa Koester, MSN, RN, CS, ANP, renal nurse practitioner, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO
- Research Abstract Award: Lori Harwood, MSc, RN, C(Neph)C, London Health Sciences Centre, London, Ontario, Canada
- ANNA Board of Directors Award (two awards): Robert MacKinnon, RN, CNN, clinical research coordinator, Carlitas St. Elizabeths Medical Center, Boston, MA; and Lauren McClure, BSN, RN, CNN, area manager, Fresenius Medical Care, Horsham, PA
- Representation Award: Linda Bethea, RN, CNN, facility administrator, Shreveport Home Dialysis, Davita, Shreveport, LA
- Outstanding Chapter Recognition Award: Big Sky Chapter (Western Region)
- Chapters Collaboration Award: Texas Chapters (Southeast Region)
- Chapter Strategic Alliances Award: Arcadiana Chapter (Southeast Region)
- Regional Chapter Awards: Northeast Region Jersey North Chapter; Southeast Region Arcadiana Chapter; North Central Region Windy City Chapter; Western Region San Joaquin Chapter
- Chapter Recruitment & Retention National Award: Keystone Chapter (Northeast Region)
- Chapter Recruitment & Retention Regional Awards: Northeast Region Keystone Chapter; Southeast Region Palm Valley Chapter; North Central Region Red River Valley Chapter; Western Region Intermountain Chapter
During the symposium, ANNA also awarded its annual scholarships and grants. For a complete list, go to www.annanurse.org, (choose Members tab, click on Award/Scholarship/Grant Program, scroll to Most Recent Recipients).
For more information about ANNA, visit the association's Web site at www.annanurse.org; call 888-600-2662, 856-256-2320; fax 856-589-7463; or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. ANNA's 40th National Symposium will be held April 26-29, 2009, at the Hilton San Diego Bayfront and San Diego Convention Center, San Diego, CA.
ANNA is a professional nursing association with over 12,000 members. Its mission is to advance nephrology nursing practice and positively influence outcomes for patients with kidney disease through advocacy, scholarship, and excellence.