FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Information: Linda Alexander
(856) 256-2300 ext. 2411; email@example.com
Nephrology Nurses Honored with Awards, Scholarships,
and Grants at ANNA Symposium
PITMAN, NJ B The American Nephrology Nurses' Association (ANNA) recognized outstanding members and chapters with more than $69,000 in excellence awards, educational scholarships, and research grants at its 42nd National Symposium in Boston, MA, in March.
Norma Gomez, MBA, MSN, RN, CNN, of White Pine, TN, received the Outstanding Contribution to ANNA award for her dedication to nephrology nursing, exceptional leadership skills, passion for professional development and volunteerism. Gomez is a nephrology nurse consultant in White Pine. In honor of her contributions, Gomez received a lifetime membership in ANNA, an ANNA logo pin and a commemorative plaque.
The Ron Brady Memorial Award for Excellence in Volunteer Leadership was presented to Loretta Jackson Brown, PhD(c), RN, CNN, of Lawrenceville, GA, Clinician Health Communicator for McKing Consultant/Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta, GA. Described as an inspiration to others, Jackson Brown was recognized for her exemplary volunteer efforts within ANNA, both nationally and within her local chapter, as well as throughout her community. She was also instrumental in coordinating a Georgia state-wide educational conference. Sponsored by ANNAs management company, Anthony J. Jannetti, Inc., the award is named in honor of ANNA's long-time executive director.
During the symposium, ANNA presented many other awards, scholarships and grants, including those listed below. A complete listing of ANNA award, scholarship, and grant recipients is available on ANNAs Web site.
Awards presented at the symposium included the following:
- Clinical Practice Award: Andrea Easom, MS, MNSc, APN, BC, CNN, CNN-NP, Mabelvale, AR; Clinical Instructor, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
- Nephrology Nurse Educator Award: Deuzimar Kulawik, MS, RN, Brooksville, FL; Quality Improvement Director, FMQAI: Florida ESRD Network
- Excellence in Nephrology Nursing Management Award: Glenda Harbert, RN, CNN, CPHQ, Carrollton, TX; Executive Director, ESRD Network of Texas, Inc.
- Quality Care Award: Linda Owens, RN, CNN, Pine Bluff, AR; Nephrology Nurse, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
- Spirit of Nephrology Nursing Award: Sally Campoy, DNP, ANP-BC, CNN-NP, Denver, CO; Nurse Practitioner, Denver VA Medical Center
- Helen Feigenbaum Award for Promotion of Excellence in Nephrology Nursing: Kathey Day, RN, CDN, Springhill, LA; Clinical Educator, Willis Knighton Health System
- Research Abstract Award: Janice OBrien, PhD, RN, Teaneck, NJ; Assistant Professor, Saint Peters College
- ANNA Board of Directors Award: B. Sandy Miholics, RN, CNN, Neshanic Station, NJ; Case Manager, HealthFirst NY
- Representation Award: Nida Quirong-Jones, RN, CNN, Bensalem, PA; Home Dialysis & Anemia Management Nurse, Albert Einstein Medical Center
Nephrology Nursing Journal Writers Awards
- Clinical Practice: Clara Neyhart, RN, CNN, Chapel Hill, NC; Nephrology Nurse Clinician, University of North Carolina Health Care, Kidney Center. Article: A New Nursing Model for the Care of Patients with Chronic Kidney Disease: The UNC Kidney Center Nephrology Nursing Initiative published in the March/April 2010 issue. Co-authors: Lynn McCoy, RN, CNN; Beverly Rodegast, RN; Constance Gilet, MSN, ANP; Cynthia Roberts, RN, CNN; and Kelley Downes, BSN, RN
- Education: Christine Bakke, DNP, APNP, CNN-NP, FNP-BC, Marshfield, WI; Nephrology Nurse Practitioner, Marshfield Clinic. Article: Clinical and Cost Effectiveness of Guidelines to Prevent Intravascular Catheter-Related Infections in Patients on Hemodialysis, published in the November/December 2010 issue
- Research: Francess Victoria Nelson Danquah, PhD, RN, Houston, TX; Clinical Instructor, University of Texas Health Science Center School of Nursing. Article: Quality of Life Measures for Patients on Hemodialysis: A Review of Psychometric Properties published in the May/June 2010 issue. Co-authors: Joan Wasserman, DrPH, MBA, RN; Janet Meininger, PhD, RN, FAAN; and Nancy Bergstrom, PhD, RN, FAAN
- New Author Award: Melissa Eskridge, MSN, RN, NP-C, Eau Claire, WI; Assistant Director, Sacred Heart Hospital Dialysis. Article: Hypertension and Chronic Kidney Disease: The Role of Lifestyle Modification and Medication Management published in the January/February 2010 issue
- Outstanding Chapter Recognition Award: Dogwood Chapter (Southeast Region)
- Chapters Strategic Alliance Award: Garden State Chapter (Northeast Region)
- National Chapter Recruitment and Retention Award: Hub City Chapter (Southeast Region)
ANNA is now accepting nominations for its 2012 Awards, Scholarships, and Grants program in which more than $100,000 will be available. The application deadline is October 15, 2011.
ANNA's 43rd National Symposium will be held April 29-May 2, 2012, at the Walt Disney World Dolphin, Orlando, FL. For more information about ANNA, visit the association's Web site at www.annanurse.org; call 888-600-2662, 856-256-2320; fax 856-589-7463; or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
ANNA is a professional nursing association with over 11,000 members. Its mission is to promote excellence by advancing nephrology nursing practice and positively influence outcomes for individuals with kidney disease