May 9, 2003
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Information: Janet DAlesandro
(856) 256-2422; firstname.lastname@example.org
American Nephrology Nurses Association Inducts New Officers
PITMAN, NJ The new officers of the American Nephrology Nurses Association (ANNA) assumed their positions at ANNAs 34th National Symposium, April 25-28, 2003, in Chicago, IL.
ANNA’s 2003-2004 officers were inducted during the Nephrology Nurse Day Recognition Luncheon on April 27. During the ceremonies, Caroline S. Counts, MSN, RN, CNN, of Charleston, SC, officially accepted the "vision crystal," a new tradition for passing presidential responsibilties (and vision) from one president to the next, from outgoing ANNA President Gail S. Wick, BSN, RN, CNN.
In her luncheon address, Ms. Counts challenged attendees to recruit at least one new member.
"It is the members who own ANNA, who are the consumers of ANNA, and who are the workforce of ANNA," Ms. Counts said. "There is much work to be done this coming year and we need all the help we can muster." She added that ANNA will be intensifying its public advocacy efforts and will also be developing new education opportunities and programs for nurses to hone their leadership and managerial skills. In addition, Ms. Counts said the work from ANNA's national summit on the nephrology nursing shortage in March will continue under the leadership of ANNA Outcomes Coordinator Suzann VanBuskirk, BSN, RN, CNN.
ANNA Officers, 2003-2004
The members of the 2003-2004 ANNA Board of Directors were announced as follows:
- President: Caroline S. Counts, MSN, RN, CNN, Nephrology Nurse Specialist, Dialysis Clinic, Inc., Charleston, SC.
- President-Elect: Lesley C. Dinwiddie, MSN, RN, FNP, CNN, Nephrology Nurse Consultant, Vascular Access Education and Research, Cary, NC.
- Immediate Past President: Gail S. Wick, BSN, RN, CNN, VP Nursing Services, DaVita, Inc., Atlanta, GA.
- Secretary: Barbara F. Prowant, MS, RN, CNN, Research Associate, University of Missouri - Columbia, Columbia, MO.
- Treasurer: JoAnne Gilmore, BSN, RN, CNN, Clinical Writer/Manager of Policies & Procedures, DaVita, Inc., Scottsdale AZ.
- Northeast Vice President: Karen T. Burwell, BSN, RN, CNN, Clinical Manager, Regional Dialysis Center, Syracuse, NY.
- Southeast Vice President: Glenda M. Payne, MS, RN, CNN, Nurse Consultant, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, Dallas, TX.
- North Central Vice President: Donna Bednarski, MSN, RN, CS, CNP, CNN, Clinical Nurse Specialist/Nurse Practitioner Nephrology, Harper University Hospital, Detroit, MI.
- Western Vice President: Lynda K. Ball, BS, BSN, RN, CNN, Quality Improvement Coordinator, Northwest Renal Network, Seattle, WA.
- Executive Director: Michael Cunningham, Anthony J. Jannetti, Inc., Pitman, NJ.
ANNAs Regional Officers for 2003-2004 were announced as follows:
- Northeast Chapters Coordinator: Nida Quirong-Jones, RN, CNN, Home Dialysis Program Coordinator, Albert Einstein Medical Center, Philadelphia, PA.
- Northeast Chapters Coordinator-Elect: Jean Pirozzi, BS, RN, CNN, Clinical Coordinator/Hemodialysis, St Joseph's Hospital Health Center, Syracuse, NY.
- Southeast Chapters Coordinator: Avis K. Allen, MSN, RN, CNN, Commonwealth University Health System, Richmond, VA.
- Southeast Chapters Coordinator-Elect: Cindy Richards, RN, CNN, Nephrology Clinician/Transplant Coordinator, Children's Health Systems, Birmingham, AL.
North Central Region
- North Central Chapters Coordinator-Elect: Molly Cahill, RN, CNN, Nurse Clinician, Nancy Birenboim, MD, FACP, Inc., Independence, MO.
- North Central Chapters Coordinator-Elect: Sylvia M. Moe, BSN, RN, CNN, Dialysis Staff Nurse, Mayo Medical Center, Rochester, MN.
- Western Chapters Coordinator: Kristi J. Ross, BSN, RN, CNN, CCTC, Clinical Transplant Coordinator, Swedish Medical Center, Seattle, WA.
- Western Chapters Coordinator-Elect: Pete-Reuben Calixto, BSN, RN, CNN, Clinical Nurse III/Transplant Coordinator, University of California - San Francisco, San Francisco, CA.
For more information on ANNA, contact the ANNA National Office, East Holly Avenue/Box 56, Pitman, NJ 08071-0056; phone: 1-888-600-ANNA or (856) 256-2320; fax: 856-589-7463; e-mail: email@example.com; Web site: www.annanurse.org.
ANNA is a professional nursing association comprised of more than 12,000 nephrology nurses. The association is dedicated to advancing nephrology nursing practice and positively influencing outcomes for patients with kidney or other disease processes requiring replacement therapies through advocacy, scholarship, and excellence.