FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Information: Linda Alexander
American Nephrology Nurses' Association Recognizes Outstanding Nurses at
PITMAN, NJ B The American Nephrology Nurses' Association (ANNA) recognized outstanding nurse members and scholars with more than $94,000 in excellence awards, educational scholarships, and research grants at its 41st National Symposium in San Antonio, TX, in May.
Lesley Dinwiddie, MSN, RN, FNP, CNN, received the Outstanding Contribution to ANNA award for her passion and dedication to nephrology nursing, her service to ANNA, and for her work in educating others about vascular access in hemodialysis. Dinwiddie is a nephrology nurse consultant in Cary, NC, and senior vice president, Institute for Clinical Excellence, Education, and Research. As the award recipient, Dinwiddie received a lifetime membership in ANNA, an ANNA logo pin and a commemorative plaque.
The Ron Brady Memorial Award for Excellence in Volunteer Leadership was presented to Jeanene Trochesset, BSN, RN, CNN, a nurse on the Childrens ESRD Unit, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX. Trochesset was recognized for her exemplary volunteer efforts in her local chapter and her contributions to ANNAs Texas state-wide collaborative meeting. Sponsored by Anthony J. Jannetti, Inc., the award is named in honor of ANNA's long-time executive director.
During the symposium, ANNA also presented other awards, scholarships and grants, including those listed below. A complete listing of ANNA award, scholarship, and grant recipients is available on ANNAs Web site.
Awards presented at the symposium included the following:
- Clinical Practice Award: Elizabeth Evans, DNP, Albuquerque, NM; Nurse Practitioner, Renal Medical Associates
- Nephrology Nurse Educator Award: Cheryl Groenhoff, MS, MBA, RN, CNN, Plantation, FL; Clinical Educator, Baxter Health Care, Renal Division
- Excellence in Nephrology Nursing Management Award: Norma Heard, MS, BSN, RN, CAN, CLNC, CNN, East Point, GA; Clinical Manager, Grady Healthcare System
- Quality Care Award: Linda Giannamore, RN, Steubenville, OH; Staff Nurse, Trinity Medical Center
- Spirit of Nephrology Nursing Award: Margaret Nusser Gerlach, MSN, APRN, CNN-NP, Omaha, NE; Nurse Practitioner, University of Nebraska Medical Center
- Helen Feigenbaum Award for Promotion of Excellence in Nephrology Nursing: Angela Taylor-Smith, BSN, RN, ASD, CDN, Lawrenceville, GA; Home Therapy Nurse, Fresenius Medical Care
- Research Abstract Award: Zorica Kauric-Klein, MSN, ANP-C, Berkley, MI; Nurse Practitioner/Instructor, William Beaumont Hospital
- ANNA Board of Directors Award: Beverly Grier-Smith, BSN, RN, CNN, MSHCA, Norfolk, VA; Director, Patient Care Services, Sentara Healthcare
- Representation Award: Two awards were presented:
- Deborah Brouwer, RN, CNN, McMurray, PA; Director, Therapy and Clinical Programs, Renal Solutions, Inc.
- Juanita Martinez, BSN, RN, CCRN, CNN, San Antonio, TX; Nephrology Nurse Clinician, Alamo Kidney Health
- Nephrology Nursing Journal Writers Awards
- Clinical Practice: Lori Harwood, MSc, RN, London, Ontario; Advanced Practice Nurse, London Health Sciences Center, Co-authors: Barbara Wilson, MScN, RN; Heather Locking-Cusolito, MScN, RN; Jessica Sontrop, PhD; Joan Spittal MSW, RSW (Stressors and Coping in Individuals with Chronic Kidney Disease May/June 2009)
- Education: Two awards were presented:
- Lynda Ball, MSN, RN, CNN, Everett, WA; Quality Improvement Director, Northwest Renal Network (Forty Years of Vascular Access March/April 2009)
- Nancy Hoffart, PhD, RN, Boston, MA; Professor, Northeastern University (The Development of Kidney Transplant Nursing March/April 2009)
- Research: Daria Kring, PhD, RN-BC, Greensboro, NC; Director of Nursing Research, Forsyth Medical Center. Co-author: Patricia Crane, PhD, RN, FAHA (Factors Affecting Quality of Life in Persons on Hemodialysis January/February 2009)
- New Author Award: Laurie Simmons, MSN, RN, Marion, IA; Nursing Faculty, Kirkwood Community College (Dorthea Orem's Self Care Theory as Related to Nursing Practice in Hemodialysis July/August 2009)
ANNA's 42nd National Symposium will be held March 27-30, 2011, at the Hynes Convention Center, Boston, MA. For more information about ANNA, visit the association's Web site at www.annanurse.org; call 888-600-2662, 856-256-2320; fax 856-589-7463; or e-mail email@example.com.
ANNA is a professional nursing association with over 12,000 members. Its mission is to advance nephrology nursing practice and positively influence outcomes for individuals with kidney disease through advocacy, scholarship, and excellence.