Job Position and Professional Responsibilities
- Pediatric Renal Transplant Coordinator
- Provide pre- and post-transplant patient care/education
- Assist with policies and procedures, critical paths, regulatory compliance
- Assist with staff education
- Serve as liaison to other hospital staff, UAB Adult Renal Transplant Program, and other agencies in a three state area
- 33 years of nursing experience ( 26 years of nephrology experience in dialysis and transplantation)
- ANNA member since 1990
- Southeast Chapters Coordinator and Chapters Coordinator-Elect (two terms: 2003-2005 and 2010-2012)
- Pediatric SIG/SPN Member (1996-2001, 2007-2010); Leader (2001-2002)
- Transplantation SIG/SPN Member (2008-2010)
- SIG/ SPN Liaison Designate (2001-2002); Liaison (2002-2003)
- Nominations Committee Member (2005-2006); Chair (2006-2008)
- Local Chapter President (twice); President-Elect (twice); Secretary (twice)
- ANNA National Program Committee Member (1999)
- NAPRTCS Nurses Committee Member (2003-2006); Co-chair (2006-2009)
- BRIDGES Foundation Board of Directors (2003-2011)
- Alabama Honduran Medical Education Network (AHMEN) Medical Mission Team Leaders (2009-present)
- ANNA Board of Directors: Southeast Vice President/Director (2012-2014)
Role in ANNA projects/activities illustrating support of ANNA’s mission, goals, and objectives
Education. I was a chapter co-author, Core Curriculum for Nephrology Nursing, 5th edition. I have spoken on many occasions locally and nationally on nephrology/ transplant related topics. I review research and use evidence-based practice in the material that I use in my presentations. I am a firm believer that affordable, quality education is vital to our members, and this helps support strategic issue A and B on the new strategic plan.
Leadership. I have served (twice) as the Southeast Region Chapters Coordinator (CC) and Chapters Coordinator-Elect (CCE), working with local ANNA chapters to help strengthen them as chapters and as grassroots ANNA members, and as the Southeast Vice President. I have served in many other areas within ANNA – Pediatric and Transplantation SPNs, Nominations Committee, and Board of Directors. I have used the educational opportunities afforded me by my workplace and ANNA to strengthen my leadership skills, and this helps to support strategic issue D on the new strategic plan.
Advocacy. I have actively participated in the use of CapWiz to advocate for nursing and patients with CKD of all stages and modalities. I have participated in Congressional visits in Washington, DC. I have assisted with local visits by legislators and their representatives within my chapter. By participating in these activities, this helps support strategic issue C on the new strategic plan.