Kidney Disease Awareness and Education (KDAE) Week is a week dedicated to educating policymakers and their staff members about the needs of patients suffering from or at risk for end stage renal disease (ESRD).
ANNA members are encouraged to invite Congressional delegations, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) staff, ESRD regional office staff, and local and regulatory agency staff to visit a local dialysis facility, transplant center, or KEEP program during Kidney Disease Awareness and Education Week. The objective of these visits is to educate policymakers about kidney disease, treatment options, and the legislative issues facing the renal community.
To supplement the tours, legislators will receive ANNA's End-Stage Renal Disease Briefing Book for State and Federal Policymakers: A Guide to Kidney Disease Awareness and Education. The booklet presents in lay terms the basics of ESRD and includes information on underlying conditions such as diabetes and hypertension, incidence, and treatment costs.
Webinar ~ I Lobby and I Know It!
Listen as members of ANNA's Health Policy Committee discuss the impact that YOU — yes you! — can have on decisions that Congress and local lawmakers make. There are easy ways to voice your opinions and concerns and let legislators know that nephrology nurses care about our patients and our profession! Go to this free webinar in ANNA's Online Library; just log in to your Online Library account for free access. Also, ANNA members should have received an email on July 1 with information on how you can earn .75 contact hours for FREE after viewing this webinar. (Click here for details.)
Documents to Print for KDAE Week Visits
- End-Stage Renal Disease Briefing Book for State and Federal Policymakers: A Guide to Kidney Disease Awareness and Education [PDF]
- Support the Chronic Kidney Disease Improvement in Research and Treatment Act of 2014 (H.R. 4814) [PDF]
- Extend Immunosuppressive Drug Coverage for Kidney Transplant Recipients [PDF]
- Support Increased Fiscal Year 2015 Funding for the Nursing Workforce Development Programs at HRSA [PDF]
- Support Increased Fiscal Year 2015 Funding for Biomedical Research and Patient Safety [PDF]
- State Fact Sheets on Kidney Disease Incidence
- Planning and Orientation
- End Stage Renal Disease Briefing Book for State and Federal Policymakers: A Guide to Kidney Disease Awareness and Education
If you have any questions or comments regarding Kidney Disease Awareness and Education (KDAE) Week, contact KDAE@annanurse.org.