Welcome to The Geriatric Connection, a section of the American Nephrology Nurses' Association (ANNA) website designed to help you obtain information to assist with the care of our older adult population. It is our goal to bring you the most up-to-date resources regarding care of the aging adult, which you can then apply in your practice as you care for older adults with chronic kidney disease (CKD) stages 1-5, 5D, or 5T
An aging population and chronic kidney disease are global concerns. The increasing number of older adults makes it the responsibility of the health care team to keep abreast of current changes in care so that we can help our patients achieve an optimal level of functioning. Our focus must be individualized and must take into consideration the needs of the older adult based on many parameters, including the physiologic, pathologic, psychosocial, and spiritual aspects of care.
In response to this need, ANNA (along with many other specialty nursing associations) has entered into a partnership with the Hartford Institute for Geriatric Nursing and the American Nurses Association known as the Nurse Competence in Aging (NCA) initiative. This initiative is improving the quality of health care for older adults by enhancing the knowledge, skills, and attitudes of over 400,000 nurses associated with NCA. The goals are to:
- Enhance the geriatric activities of national specialty nursing associations,
- Promote gerontologic nursing certification, and
- Provide a Web-based comprehensive geriatric nursing resource center.
The NCA sponsored Web site - ConsultGeriRN.org - is a wonderful resource center. Please familiarize yourself with this connection and its outstanding resources!
Additional resources include:
- ANNA Resources, current information available through our own nursing association for older adult care
- AJN Series entitled "Nursing Care of Older Adults: A New Look at the Old" that allows you to view the series of articles and videos specifically about the older adult being published by the American Journal of Nursing (AJN)
- Geriatric Nursing Resource Links
ANNA hopes that the material provided will be useful to you, not only as a nephrology nurse, but in your personal life as you care for older adults within your family, circle of friends, and community. As we strengthen our nursing practice with the knowledge and resources provided, we will be better able to promote positive patient outcomes. If you have comments or specific requests for information related to the care of older adults, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Debra Hain, DNS, GNP-BC
ANNA Web Fellow, Nurse Competence in Aging Project