Health Policy Workshop
ANNA will host the next Health Policy Workshop in Washington, DC on September 11-12, 2023. The workshop will provide participants with the resources and training needed to advocate on behalf of nurses and patients and will culminate with visits to Members of Congress on Capitol Hill. Participants will include at least 20 ANNA members and volunteers chosen from among applicants, plus ANNA’s Board of Directors and the Health Policy Committee. The small size of this workshop is intended to provide the best learning environment for all who attend, and preference will be given to those who already have a basic level of health policy knowledge and demonstrated interest in engaging as an advocate.
- Must be an ANNA member with previous legislative experience.
- Must be willing to serve as a volunteer for ANNA in future advocacy roles.
- Must complete pre- and post-workshop requirements.
- Scholarship funding of up to $1,000 to attend will be available, however, participants must be able to fund expenses above the scholarship amount.
Travel and Hotel Arrangements
- Qualified applicants will receive information to make their own airline/travel arrangements. Plan to arrive on Sunday, September 10 (for an early start on Monday, September 11) and depart on Tuesday, September 12, after 6:00 pm. Flights should be scheduled as late as possible on Tuesday for the best experience on Capitol Hill.
- Hotel and additional instructions will be provided upon acceptance of your application to attend the workshop.
- ANNA will facilitate roommate requests for participants that wish to share hotel expenses.
Required Preparation Before the Workshop
- Commit to reading all pre-workshop information and meet all deadlines.
- Make an appointment with your Congressional Representative and at least one of your two U.S. Senators. Instructions and guidance will be provided to assist participants in this effort.
- Participate in webinars and educational training in advance - details to come!
- Arrive in Washington, DC prepared to learn! Read all information sent to you before the workshop begins and respond as directed by the stated deadline(s).
Required Participation After the Workshop
- Complete an online Workshop Evaluation within three days after the meeting.
- Submit an article to the ANNA Update summarizing your experience. Several articles will be published and other articles may be used for future advocacy experiences and learning. The details and parameters will be circulated following the completion of your participation in the Workshop.
- Respond to a post about attending the Health Policy Workshop. The post will be started by Jennifer Payton, ANNA President, on ANNA’s Open Forum. You agree to respond to the post within three days in a meaningful way. Your response should be 2-3 paragraphs describing what you learned, who you met with on the Hill, what your talking points were, and how other members can get involved in advocacy efforts.
Reach out to Janet Betts at email@example.com or 856-256-2346